Pages

Thursday, April 5, 2012

A 21st Century Reflection on John 19: 25-26

Jesus at the Cross
Good Friday, April 5, 2012


Tortured, mocked, scourged
And now bearing His own Cross,
Jesus sees his mother.

With Mary, are her sister,
Mary, the wife of Clopas,
and Mary Magdalene.
His beloved disciple, John, is with them.

The dreaded appointed hour is at hand.
Jesus pauses.
In this poignant and significant moment,
He speaks to her.

“Mother, you know I have to go now.”
Then, with a glance indicating that he is referring to John,
Jesus says: “Mother,  Here is your son.
He will take care of you, now, Mom."

Turning then to his trusted friend, He says:
"John, take my mother.
Take her home and
Look after her as your own."

Can we even imagine being at that tortured moment,
Facing a horrible death
And yet, having the capacity to love so deeply
As to think of the needs of anyone else!

His words to Mary served to reinforce her knowledge
That in going to the cross, he was living the will of God.
And that he was not finished. No, he was about to be free,
Free, his future secure in his place with the father.

How can we be free . . .
Free to offer such compassion and love
And be free, in the strength of our faith,  
To trust in our own future with the Father?

- E. Richard Fortunato

4 comments:

  1. Hello Mr. Fortunato! I feel as though I know you as I have heard numerous stories about you over many years from my mom, Julia Poggioli and even more from my cousin, Tina Peterec, whom we love so much. I just wanted to tell you that this was a beautiful post on your blog for Good Friday. Thanks for reminding us of its important message.

    After taking a look at other articles, I think I will subscribe. Wishing you and your family a Blessed Easter.
    Regards,
    Jeanne Poggioli Cavanaugh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeanne,

      Thank you for the kind and generous comments. I'm especially pleased to hear from and have cousins and family members reading my writing. It has been my way of serving God and our community in many ways, charity and otherwise since retiring seventeen years ago.

      Your second cousin, once removed, (I think, according to my genealogical calculations!)

      Dick

      Delete
  2. God bless! Happy Easter to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret,

      So good to hear from you, as always. Happy Easter and Happy Passover (Ah Zissen Pesach) in honor of your mother.

      Dick

      Delete