Pages

Monday, May 13, 2013

Five Fathers

The following story came to me from a family member about a mission of compassion, mercy and love of five fathers who have been friends since high school. It's a moving story and paradigm for all fathers of what young fathers can do in times of serious family crisis. I thought there was a touch of irony in that it came to me on the heals of my own post yesterday, "My Mother My Life". Without further introduction, here's Kevin Skirde's story of "Five Fathers" which includes links to their website photos, personal stories and contact information.

Are you Lucky?

Today, I can say I am very lucky. I have two healthy little children, a great family and amazing friends.

Approximately two years ago, one of my dear friends, Anthony Lenza met a crisis in his life. His son, Anthony, was diagnosed with Leukemia at the age of 2. (http://fivefathers.org/one-fathers-journey/) What a fighter this little champ has been. He is finishing up his chemo this summer and today he is looking stronger than ever!

Since June 2011, my friends, Nick, Jay, Mark and I have each asked a very similar question…”How can we help?”, “What can we do?”, “Is there anything you need?” We probably all felt a little helpless watching one of our closest friends go through such a very difficult time. The one thing that I will never forget is Anthony’s focus on the many children at the hospital who were in such dire need. He always spoke about the many children who had it worse. In recognizing this during such a difficult time, Anthony inspired me.

The answer to our question was the formation of Five Fathers. A few months back, Anthony had the idea to start a new nonprofit organization to help Children in need. I realized quickly that this is how I can help! Today I introduce to you, our organization, Five Fathers Children’s Charity.

Our goal is simple:

· Provide support for children and their families who are in need of a helping hand…financial, physical or emotional

· Create a movement and a platform for all people, including fathers, to raise their hands, act and help children in need.

I ask for your support as we embark on our journey> Here are a few ways you can help:

1. Spread the word – your network can be our network! Send this to other people, especially those with whom you are close. Word of mouth is a very powerful tool to help us establish our network.

2. Come visit us Memorial Day Weekend on Monday, May 27 for the 33rd Memorial Day Run. This is a perfect place to launch our organization and journey – the place where we all met, became friends and grew up! Feel free to run, donate money or just cheer us on!!

3. Donate your time – we are in the process of coordinating with our first families to support and I know there will be many projects to come. Contact us on our website (http://www.fivefathers.org/) if you would like to join this movement, (perhaps with other fathers you know.).

4. Pledge a gift to Five Fathers and make a donation. Donations can be made on our site. Or you can mail me a check.

I am personally donating to Five Fathers and will continue to do so each year. In addition, our operating expenses will be covered by the board for 2013 so we are striving to keep our costs and overhead extremely low.

Please help us: Donate, volunteer and make a difference!

I would like to personally thank you for taking time to read this and hear our story. Your contribution will help many little children like Anthony.

As I close, I would like to ask you one final question. Are you lucky?

With Warm Regards,

Kevin E. Skirde

Vice President of Development, Director

Five Fathers Children’s Charity

Kevin@fivefathers.org

No comments:

Post a Comment