Pages

Wednesday, May 8, 2013

In Sickness and Healing, Time to Think!

I just looked at my blog and saw that this is my first post in over a month.

There's nothing like a series of bouts with one's health, in this case, issues of the digestive tract, to slow one  down to a near halt.  At my age or any age, I suppose, it's something that abruptly interrupts the steady stream of even our most routine day-to-day activities. I've considered that it may be especially challenging for the type "A" person within so many of us, those of us who need to have all our ducks in a row and be on top of things.  This leads me to wonder if there's an elementary force known as The Law of Inertia that prevents us from "stopping the world, I want to get off", and then the same law that tells us to stop fighting and just rest. Or maybe that is another Natural Law at work, the "instinct to survive" telling us to listen to our body's signals. At that point your brain takes over and compels you to accept what is happening and that you need to shut out all other concerns.  In obeying the commands of my body, my mind took over and gave me a lot of time to think about what is most important.  I think of that spiritual process as prayer and trust me I was calling on God to help get me through. That old Devil Pain comes along and reminds you that while it like the devil, it's but another one of God's Laws of Nature demanding you through your body to stop and pay attention to what is going on.

So, I tried hard to be a good patient and did exactly as I was told and awaited the medical cavalry to take charge of my rescue.  I was very fortunate, from the moment I entered the emergency room at Bradley Hospital, with an extremely caring and competent doctor, nurses and technicians to make it to the Intermediate Care Unit where I was officially "admitted" to the hospital in the wee hours.

After almost a week in a regular hospital room surrounded by efficient doctors, nurses and aides who genuinely won my respect and trust, I was up to having my wife take me home to rest and continue the therapy of medication, diet and a modified daily regime.  Gave me time to read, think and pray some more, all of which gradually re-opened my cerebral processes.

I considered how good my family and friends were with their visits, phone calls, cards, flowers and various expressions of caring. One thing I didn't let go of but held on tight to is my faith.  So, I thank God.  I thank Him for the great lady who is my devoted wife and nurse at home and in the hospital, my children and grandchildren, good friends and associates and especially the staff at Bradley Memorial Hospital in Southington for getting me through for another day of writing.

Next time you're feeling that your're indispensable, maybe you'll think of this story.

Good health and Godspeed.


Sincere thanks to:

Vince, Karen, Rich, Debbie, Allison, Lindsey, Rob, Greg, Ann Marie and Bill, Joe, Maggie, Mike, MaryAnne, Leeanne, Jackie, Doris Smith, Donna Toce, Rev. Jim Debner, Rev. Sandy Koenig, Rev. Fr. Henry Frascadore, Bob and Cathy, Fr. Simon Devereaux and the Mustard Seed, Mikki, Gen & Will, Dennis Kelly, Paul Sirois, John  DiSantis and the Knights of Columbus, Robin Michel, Ruth Heering, Joy Irish, Carol Newton, Eldon Hafford, Mary DeCroce and St. Dominic Parish.

Finally, please join me in appreciating the continued presence of Bradley Memorial Hospital in our midst.  I salute their staff especially, Emergency Room Dr. Contanstine "Tine" Mesologites and his night staff; Hospitalist Dr. Brian Beaulieu, and those always there for me Nurses Denise, Carrington, Meghan Brennan, Pina, Skila, Justyna, Rennette, and two housekeepers who did their work with cheerful greetings each time they entered my room. Of course, there are others whose names I was no doubt too out of touch at times to remember.



No comments:

Post a Comment